ORTEC is an industry leader in the design and manufacture of precision detectors, nuclear instrumentation, analysis software, and systems for industry, academia, and government agencies. The ORTEC product line includes High Purity Germanium radiation detectors and analysis equipment for Homeland Security, Nuclear Counting Labs, Health Physics, Scientific Research, Safeguards, Waste Assay and Non Destructive Assay applications.
As a global manufacturer, ORTEC brand products are used in a wide variety of nuclear measurements from research to applied systems including homeland security applications. ORTEC specializes in the design and fabrication of turn-key spectroscopy systems.
ORTEC was originally founded in 1960 by a group of scientists from the Oak Ridge National Laboratory to provide a commercial source for research grade silicon surface barrier charged particle detectors. ORTEC has grown to provide state-of-the-art solutions in virtually all areas of nuclear measurements.
The recognition and acceptance of ORTEC brand equipment is based on high quality, reliability, and state-of-the-art advancement. ORTEC continues to lead the industry in innovative techniques and equipment to perform the most rigorous of measurements. These include:
- State-of-the-art, high quality High Purity Germanium detector systems with evolving specifications to meet the demands of today's need for critical and accurate measurements.
- The first fully integrated Ethernet-based hardware and software platform to allow connection of equipment anywhere in a facility while allowing operators and supervisors to view, edit, configure, control, and analyze data on any hardware from anywhere at any time
- The continuous development of PC-based GammaVision® and AlphaVision® quantitative spectroscopy software packages which are more powerful and easier to use than any previously available software
- The first integrated DSP-based hardware systems (the DSPEC and DSPEC-Plus and most recently the DSPEC 50) for High Purity Germanium detectors which improve the performance and stability of the gamma spectroscopy counting systems
- The first fully-integrated DSP-based portable Multi Channel Analyzer designed to operate in the field for a full working day without an external PC
- The first (and only) low-cost mechanical cooler for High Purity Germanium detectors which eliminates the need for, reduces running operational costs of, and eliminates safety hazards associated with Liquid Nitrogen cooling
- The first commercially available High Purity Germanium-based portable nuclide identifier
A recent acquisition has allowed the company to combine new cooling technologies with high purity germanium detectors which continues to advance the applications for these detectors.
AMETEK is a global leader in electronic instruments and electromechanical devices with colleagues at numerous manufacturing, sales and service locations in the U.S. and around the world.